CHURCH OF ST CROSS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1139338
Date first listed:
23-Dec-1983
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CROSS, STRETTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CROSS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139338 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 12:38:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CROSS, STRETTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Warrington (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Appleton
National Grid Reference:
SJ 63778 83854

Details

SJ 68 SW APPLETON C.P. STRETTON ROAD (North Side) at Appleton Thorn.

6/19 Church of St Cross.

II

Church 1886 by Edmund Kirby at the expense of Piers Egerton Warburton (of Arley). Red sandstone; red tile roof; oak-framed north porch on sandstone plinth. Cruciform with 2-stage tower over crossing. Low hip-roofed transepts; 3-window aisleless nave; one-window chancel; baptistry as a canted bay window projecting from the west end. Rose window above baptistry; Geometrical east window; straight-headed reticulated north and south windows to nave and chancel.

Interior: Cradle roof to nave and chancel; crossing arches have continuous mouldings with no capitals; organ in north transept; east window has glass of 1870; stone pulpit.

"Better than one expects him [Edmund Kirby] to be": Pevsner and Hubbard.

Listing NGR: SJ6377883854

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
58955
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Jun 2006
Reference: IOE01/13095/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Byrne. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].