CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1139352

Date first listed: 23-Dec-1983

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, CHESTER ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139352 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 13:46:42.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, CHESTER ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Warrington (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Walton

National Grid Reference: SJ 59846 85254

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 58 NE WALTON C.P. CHESTER ROAD (South East side) 2/53 Church of St John the Evangelist

GV II*

Church, 1885, Decorated, by Paley and Austin at expense of Sir Gilbert Greenall. Red snecked sandstone with graded Westmorland green slate roofs. Cruciform with 3-bay aisleless nave; oak-framed south porch on 6-foot sandstone plinth; massive 4-stage tower (chequer-work in 3rd stage) with recessed octagonal spire of stone and octagonal north-west stair-turret; transepts; chancel of 2 bays with south vestry. Windows have reticulated and panel tracery; the west window and those to north side of chancel and west side of transepts are square-headed. Interior. Barrel roof to nave and chancel with boarded lining in panels, each carrying a stencilled pattern; arch-braced transept roofs; rib-vaulted crossing; sedilia in south side of chancel; reredos with carved crucifixion; marble font, oak pulpit on stone base; oak pews and altar-rail; tiled floors.

The church is the principal building of the Walton Hall estate village (circa 1850 to 1912 ), built at the expense of the Greenall family, brewers and distillers, of Warrington.

Listing NGR: SJ5984685254

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 58992

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing