WALTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1139355

Date first listed: 23-Dec-1983

Statutory Address: WALTON HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of WALTON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139355 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 22:39:21.

Location

Statutory Address: WALTON HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Warrington (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Walton

National Grid Reference: SJ 60017 84952

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 68 SW WALTON C.P. WALTON HALL PARK

6/60 Walton Hall

II

Hall 1836-8 altered and extended 1869-70, of stone-dressed brown brick with graded slate roofs. The garden (east) front of 2½ storeys and 2 wide bays is almost symmetrical with 2 crow-stepped gables, and pinnacled octagonal buttresses at centre and each corner. The lower storey has a canted bay window, right, and a square one, left, both of stone with ovolo mullions. There are 3 windows (1-light: 2-lights: 1-light) above each bay window and a lancet to the attic in each gable.

The entrance front (right) of 2½ storeys and 4 bays is asymmetrical: broad, windowless, projecting gable, left; narrow 2-storey recessed bay with windows; projecting 2-storey porch with shaped double doors of oak (each with 11 panels) in 4-centred arched opening of stone with semicircular stone oriel above; right bay with recessed upper storey. A 4-stage clock tower to the right (circa 1870), with stone clock-stage surmounted by shaped lead-roofed cupola and large weather-vane, is linked to the Hall by a screen wall with blank Tudor windows. The left front, much altered, contains an ornate mullioned and transomed staircase window with leaded glazing and some stained glass; leading is removed from most windows on all fronts.

Interior. The hall is panelled in oak, has a quasi- Elizabethan moulded plaster ceiling and round-arched double doors of great height and heavy treatment to the stair. Oak stair with divided return flights. Large heavily decorated panelled doors to upper rooms. The Brobdignagian joinery of circa 1870 contrasts with the lightly-handled gold and white plaster panels probably of 1838 to the shaped ceiling above the staircase.

Listing NGR: SJ6001784952

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 58999

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing