THE CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1139360

Date first listed: 22-Aug-1983

Statutory Address: THE CHURCH OF ST PETER, WEIR LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139360 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 01:44:05.

Location

Statutory Address: THE CHURCH OF ST PETER, WEIR LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Warrington (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Woolston

National Grid Reference: SJ 65520 89078

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 68 NE WOOLSTON WEIR LANE Martinscroft 7/33 The Church of St Peter

II

Catholic church 1831 (Pevsner). Brick with rendered plinth and quoins and modern tyrolean treatment elsewhere with slate roof. Rectangular building of 4 bays in lancet style with presbytery behind chancel at south end. North gable entrance to the nave is pair of 4 panel doors in gothic opening with timber panelled transome. The entrance is flanked by cast iron lattice windows in lancent openings with stone sills and a single bell is hung in an opening over the door. Two-way projecting quoint pilasters with moulded eaves cornices and pyramid finials. Lead covered gable coping. Nave walls have lattice windows in lancet openings but those nearest chancel have stained glass. Projecting coved eaves cornice with lead gutter.

Interior: Apsidal sanctuary set into wall common to presbytery. Marble altar, reredos and dado with terrazzo up to deep plaster cornice and painted ceiling. Main alter flanked west by marble "Lady" altar and east by vestry door with mosaic memorial pictures above each and whole wall in marble up to coved ceiling cornice. Side walls brown marble dado with white marble to window arch springing lines. Mosaic stations of the cross with mosaic memorial pictures (1875 to 1912) above in spaces between windows. Grained timber choir gallery and screen north end of nave, flat ceiling with cove.

Listing NGR: SJ6552089078

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 58911

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971)

End of official listing