THE CHAPEL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1139540

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1988

Statutory Address: THE CHAPEL HOUSE, REDDY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE CHAPEL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139540 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 05:21:10.

Location

Statutory Address: THE CHAPEL HOUSE, REDDY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Millington

National Grid Reference: SJ 72557 85494

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added;

SJ78NW MILLINGTON REDDY LANE (Westside) Arthill 1/35 The Chapel House

II

Non-conformist chapel and attached cottage, under conversion to single dwelling at time of survey. 1759 with early C19 additions and C20 alterations. Red brick in Flemish bond (English bond to rear); Welsh slate roof, the front slates graduated. New 2 storeys throughout, 3:2 bays. Former chapel on left has 6-panel door beneath segmental brick arch with keystone; small casement window over. To left of door are 2 large, round-headed windows with projecting stone sills, C20 casements and brick arches with keystones. To right of door is a casement under segmental arch with keystone and a blocked doorway (now window) with similar head; C20 3-light casement window over. Early C19 cottage set slightly back on right has chequered brickwork with pale headers and has two C20 casements with glazing bars to ground floor and single window above. The range of buildings has boxed eaves and brick end stacks. Rear: much altered; remains of 2 segmental arches in rear wall of chapel. Interior: altered; floor inserted in chapel over which are 2 original King-post trusses, one now with tie-beam cut through. Built by followers of John Johnson (Baptist Minister in Liverpool 1741-7); in late C19 became a preaching station of Higher Lane Chapel, Lymm; used from 1924 as house and workshop. Listed primarily for its historical importance in the development of non-conformist worship in this area.

Urwick, History of Non-conformism in the County Palatine of Chester, 1864, p450.

Whitley, Baptists in the North West of England 1649 - 1913, 1913, pp66, 124, 151

Listing NGR: SJ7255785494

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 58492

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Urwick, , History of NonConformism in the County Palantine of Chester, (1864), 450
Whitley, , Baptists in the North West of England 1649-1913, (1913), 66
Whitley, , Baptists in the North West of England 1649-1913, (1913), 124
Whitley, , Baptists in the North West of England 1649-1913, (1913), 151

End of official listing