THE OLD HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1139591

Date first listed: 14-Apr-1967

Statutory Address: THE OLD HALL, CONGLETON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139591 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 22:21:50.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD HALL, CONGLETON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Nether Alderley

National Grid Reference: SJ 84360 76302

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 87 NW NETHER ALDERLEY C.P. CONGLETON ROAD (East Side)

4/128 The Old Hall

14/4/1967

GV II*

Manor house: early-mid C17 for Sir Thomas Stanley II with earlier fragments and addition and alterations of 1912 by Edmund Warre of London; English garden wall bond red brick with some purple bands. Buff sandstone dressings, Kerridge stone-slate roof and 3 brick chimneys, 2 with diamond shaped end stacks. Rectangular plan. 2 and 3-storey, 3-bay south front. Projecting stone band at 1st floor. Central bay of 3-storeys has rebated 5-light chamfered stone mullioned windows in ground and 1st storey and similar 3-light under a hood mould in a stone-coped and ball finialled gable. To left is a bead moulded stone doorcase with a cambered lintel and a 3-light window above. To right is a C20 door. Additions in ashlar to west are of 1912. Interior: Main room has light oak wainscotting (probably 1912) and 2-panelled doors with large diamonds in each panel. Heavy chamfered ceiling beams. Remainder of interior unexceptional. What survives is an addition to the earliest hall of C16. A major Baroque front of 1754 was destroyed by fire in 1779 and demolished and this led to the building of the now demolished Alderley Park. The Old Hall stands in a decorative moat made by adding an arm to the mill pond in the late C16.

Listing NGR: SJ8436376304

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 58295

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing