NETHER ALDERLEY MILL AND DAM WALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1139592

Date first listed: 25-Jul-1952

Statutory Address: NETHER ALDERLEY MILL AND DAM WALL, CONGLETON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of NETHER ALDERLEY MILL AND DAM WALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139592 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 03:32:43.

Location

Statutory Address: NETHER ALDERLEY MILL AND DAM WALL, CONGLETON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Nether Alderley

National Grid Reference: SJ 84340 76239

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 87 NW 4/130

NETHER ALDERLEY C.P. CONGLETON ROAD (East Side) Nether Alderley Mill and Dam Wall

25/7/1952

GV II*

Water Mill: late C16, machinery of 1850 and 1871, restored 1967-70 for National Trust. Ashlar buff-pink sandstone. Kerridge stone-slate roof, stone ridge. Rectangular plan with water entering at roof level. West front has long cat-slide roof with 4 louvred raking dormers. 3 openings in low wall, with a 4-board door with iron strap hinges at left approached by 3 stone steps. Both gables have a herringboned timber truss and in the left side is a rebated 4-light chamfered stone mullion (one mullion surviving) and in right side a chamfered stone doorcase. Interior: On 4 levels through which 2 massive oak posts pass, supporting arch braced queen post roof trusses, with wind-braced purlins and ridge. Contains 2 overshot water wheels, one below the other and the remaining working machinery to drive 2 pairs of French stones. Attached to south is complex of brick vaulted chambers of drying kiln, the perforated floor of which is now concreted over.

Immediately behind the mill and joined by the penstock is the ashlar dam wall, which is contemporary with the mill.

See C Boucher, Nether Alderley Mill, National Trust Guide 1978.

Listing NGR: SJ8434076239

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 58297

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'National Trust Guide' in Nether Alderley Mill, (1978)

End of official listing