CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1139604

Date first listed: 14-Apr-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE, BIRTLES LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139604 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 17:44:18.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE, BIRTLES LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Over Alderley

National Grid Reference: SJ 86264 74793

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 87 SE OVER ALDERLEY C.P. BIRTLES LANE (West Side)

8/161 Church of St Catherine

14/4/1967 II*

Church: dated 1840 for Thomas Hibbert, became parish church 1890. English garden wall bond red brick, buff sandstone dressings, Kerridge stone-slate roof, stone ridge. 5-bay nave, short chancel, south porch' and south-west tower. The bays of the nave are divided by buttresses and have mullioned and transomed windows with round headed upper lights. Gabled south porch has octagonal buttresses with crocketted pinnacles and a 4-centred headed doorcase with coats of arms in the spandrels and a heavy studded and panelled, grained door. Date stone above. Similar projection on the north side contains the baptistery. Chancel has diagonal buttresses and a 3-light east window with intersecting tracery. 3-stage octagonal tower has 4-centred arched doorcase with TH in Lombardic script in the spandrels. Single lights above and stone bands at each stage. Lattice, openwork stone balustrade has plain pinnacles. Interior: fitted with C16 and C17 Netherlandish or German woodwork. Arcaded panelled organ screen and baptistery. Ornate pulpit dated 1686. Early eagle lectern and family pew and readers desk made up of carved pieces. Good Netherlandic stained glass some dated in late C16 and early C17. Nave roof has arch braced king post trusses with tracery in the spaces (Pevsner and Hubbard).

Listing NGR: SJ8626474793

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 58327

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971)

End of official listing