This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1139606



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Cheshire East

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Over Alderley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Jul-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 58331

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



5/165 Hayman's House (formerly listed as Hayman's Farm House)

14/4/1967 II*

Small hall: completed 1528, renovations to chimney and addition of porch 1583, C17 outshut, all for Acton family, some C19 and C20 alterations. Timber-framed with brick nogging on sandstone plinth, some repairs and small additions to brick. Kerridge stone slate roof, stone ridge, 1 stone ridge chimney and 1 brick gable chimney. H-plan house with added continuous outshut to rear. 2-storey. 4-bay and 3-gabled front. Left end bay has 5 by 3 small timber frames with C20 3-light wooden casement below and 2-light in gable. 2nd bay has a projecting 2-storey porch with bead moulded entrance with a studded board door in a similar case behind. Both the porch and the bay behind have chevroning and porch gable has a miniature tiebeam and diagonal strut truss. 3rd bay is replaced in brick and right end bay has 5 by 3 timber small frames, both with C20 casements. Timber framed outshut to rear and a small brick addition. Interior: Lobby entry against ashlar central stack. Hall was probably open to the roof originally, with a large inglenook fireplace with a chamfered cambered fire beam. Now has late C16 floor with deeply chamfered ceiling beams with quirk and tongue stops. Similar beams in parlour to left which has a late C16 stone fireplace with a cyma and bead moulded surround. Simpler but similar fireplace upstairs. 3 3-board doors with iron strap hinges. Room over porch may have been small chapel or oratory. To rear in a brick lean-to are the remains of a complex of brick ovens. Underneath is a corbelled stone cellar one lit by a 2-light stone mullion window in the plinth that may belong to an earlier building. --

Listing NGR: SJ8550576137

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 85505 76137


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139606 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 01:17:18.

End of official listing