TOWN CLOCK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1139636

Date first listed: 29-Apr-1988

Statutory Address: TOWN CLOCK, HIGH STREET (MIDDLE OF ROAD)

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWN CLOCK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139636 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 06:12:06.

Location

Statutory Address: TOWN CLOCK, HIGH STREET (MIDDLE OF ROAD)

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Redcar and Cleveland (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 60245 25222

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

REDCAR HIGH STREET EAST NZ 62 NW (middle of road) 2/48 Town Clock II

Memorial Clock tower, 1913, by John Dobson (Redcar), in memory of King Edward VII. Red engineering brick in English bond, with faceted rusticated brickwork in upper part of top stage. Concrete dressings and rockfaced whinstone plinth. Plain clay tiled roof. 3-stage tower with diagonal buttresses supporting volutes on shallow bases. Round-headed opening in each face with archivolt, imposts and keystone, below frieze. On each face, frieze holds nowy-headed tablet with scrolled wings; that on south side has bronze plate with raised lettering: "1901 E.R. 1910 IN GRATEFUL AND LOYAL MEMORY OF EDWARD VII REX ET IMPERATOR. ERECTED FROM SUBSCRIPTIONS RAISED BY INHABITANTS OF REDCAR, COATHAM AND DISTRICT". Each face of middle stage has round-headed window with leaded lights in enriched aedicule. Bartizans, with watershots at angles of top stage flanking enriched swags below clock faces in oculi with moulded surrounds. Diminutive arcaded bell openings below eaves. Pyramidal roof has metal ship weather vane and compass finial. An important local landmark.

Listing NGR: NZ6024525222

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 60303

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing