OLD HALL MUSEUM

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1139641
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
29-Apr-1988
Statutory Address:
OLD HALL MUSEUM, KIRKLEATHAM

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD HALL MUSEUM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139641 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jul-2019 at 10:14:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
OLD HALL MUSEUM, KIRKLEATHAM

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Redcar and Cleveland (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 59223 21637

Details

REDCAR KIRKLEATHAM NZ 52 SE 4/62 Old Hall Museum (formerly 14.6.52 listed as Kirkleatham Old Hall - II*

School, 1708/09, probably by Robert Hooke. Roof renewed c.1900; restored and C18 and C19 extensions removed 1978-1984. Now a museum. Sandstone ashlar centre and basement; brick with sandstone dressings to wings and rear. Welsh slate roof and rebuilt brick stacks. "H"-plan with central school flanked by houses for master and usher. Tall single-storey, 3-bay centre, flanked by 2-storey, 2-bay, slightly-projecting wings; all with attic storey and basement. Central giant Roman Doric order, with triglyphs and guttae, under continuous heavily-moulded cornice. Pilaster strips to attic storey and basement. Round-headed central doorway up 6 semicircular steps : renewed 4-panel double doors, cornice head and fanlight with glazing bars in panelled reveal; architrave and chamfered-rusticated surround with impost strings and double keystone. Marble tablet above with inscription recording school foundation. Flanking paired circular windows, with architraves and radial glazing, above 2-bay arcading with moulded imposts (archivolts missing) holding false sashes with glazing bars and moulded sills. Giant segmental pediment in middle bay of attic storey, flanked by paired square renewed sashes in architraves. Wings have chamfered quoins, and quoin strips to basement and attic. Renewed sashes, with glazing bars and moulded sills in architraves. 2-light mullioned basement windows, blocked or with renewed louvres. Hipped roof with 2 transverse ridge stacks, behind straight parapet with string and copings. 7-bay returns have central renewed 3-panel double doors and blocked overlights in eared architraves under entablatures with suspended pilasters, up 3 renewed steps. Similar windows and cornice. Rear shows restored fenestration similar to front, but with door in plain surround under round-headed window. 2-bay projecting wings have similar treatment. Inner returns have plain doorways and mullioned first-floor and attic-floor windows, in angle. Interior: Large restored central hall with coved ceiling cornice. Ground-floor rooms in wings have moulded panelled ceilings. East wing has altered dogleg staircase with turned balusters, square coupled and single, panelled newel posts and heavily-moulded handrail and string. Foundation stone in basement of east wing dated 1708. The school still operates as Sir William Turner's 6th Form College, in new premises.

Listing NGR: NZ5937421796

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
60318
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12437/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Cynthia Bareham. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].