CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1139676

Date first listed: 20-Jan-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, LIVERTON VILLAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139676 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 04:41:18.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, LIVERTON VILLAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Redcar and Cleveland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Loftus

National Grid Reference: NZ 71112 16306

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LOFTUS LIVERTON VILLAGE NZ 71 NW (off west side). 1/44 Church of St. Michael. 20.1.67 G.V. II* Church.C12, largely rebuilt in late C18 and 1902/3 when porch added. Dressed sandstone with stepped plinth to chancel. Lakeland slate roofs with stone gable copings and cross finials. Slate-clad timber bellcote. Nave, lower chancel with north vestry, and west porch. Medieval stonework at west end of nave with offset angle buttresses on west face. Later medieval stonework at east end of north wall. Remains of blocked C12 round-headed doorway in north wall of nave. Early C20 windows with paired elliptical- headed lights, 2 in south side and one in north side of nave. Single pointed lights in west wall. Rectangular window with 3 trefoil-headed lights in south wall of chancel. East window has 3 cusped pointed lights. Early C20 square-plan bellcote rises from ridge at west end of nave. Battered sides below paired louvred bell openings and pyramidal roof, sprocketed at overhanging eaves, with metal cross finial. Gabled west porch has boarded double doors in round-headed opening. Foundation stone at south-west angle; cross finial on gable. Interior: plastered. Round-headed C12 chancel arch, raised in early C20, has double zigzag inner moulding, outer moulding of grotesques, and carved impost bands. Attached shafts have moulded bases, and capitals with elaborate carvings of mythical beasts, birds, humans and interlace, including the Expulsion from Paradise and a boar hunt. Memorial panelling to members of Petch family c.1918 in sanctuary. Panelled ceiled roof. Stained glass, 1903 to 1915, by W.E. Tower in nave windows. Good stained glass c.1903 in east window. C12 drum font on C20 octagonal stem and plinth, with late c19 timber and metal cover. C14 grave cover, with geometric-patterned cross, sword and shield bearing lozenges in shape of cross, in sanctuary. 2 medieval bells with crown hangings, one with Latin inscription, in nave.

Listing NGR: NZ7111216306

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 60200

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing