This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST AIDAN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST AIDAN

List entry Number: 1139718

Location

CHURCH OF ST AIDAN, BOOSBECK ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Redcar and Cleveland

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Lockwood

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-May-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 60112

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 61 NE LOCKWOOD BOOSBECK ROAD (off east side), Boosbeck

3/67 Church of St. Aidan. 25.5.66 II

Church, 1899/1900, by W.S. Hicks. Snecked, rockfaced sandstone rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings. Gaelic clay tiled roofs. Norman revival. Cruciform plan with north vestry and west porch. Clasping buttresses. Gabled porch has round-headed west doorway with billet-moulded hoodmould and imposts continued as string courses; 2 boarded doors in Caernarvon-arched openings below enriched tympanum. 4-bay nave has tall, chamfered, round-headed lancets with leaded lights and hoodmoulds. String course below sills. 2 windows in transepts and south doorway in south transept. Paired west window recessed behind single round-headed arch with imposts. Bellcote with cross finial and one bell, on west gable of nave. Slightly lower 3-bay chancel has 2-tier tripartite east window. Interior: 2-bay transept arcades with octagonal piers and square responds. Barrel roofs to nave and chancel. Stained glass of c.1903/05 in east window. Square stone font bowl with continuous guilloche moulding to sides, on circular pedestal, moulded base and square plinth with waterleaf carvings at angles.

Listing NGR: NZ6619316873

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 66193 16873

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139718 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 04:38:29.

End of official listing