This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NUMBER 183 AND COTTAGE ADJOINING SOUTH SIDE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NUMBER 183 AND COTTAGE ADJOINING SOUTH SIDE

List entry Number: 1139737

Location

NUMBER 183 AND COTTAGE ADJOINING SOUTH SIDE, WESTGATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Redcar and Cleveland

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Guisborough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Apr-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 60064

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ6015 GUISBOROUGH WESTGATE (SOUTH SIDE)

8/207 No. 183 and cottage adjoining S.side

GV II

House and shop. Late C18. Chevron-dressed sandstone; clay pantile roof; stone gable copings; brick stack to LHS. 2 storeys. Late C19 square bay shop window with stone stall-riser and narrow timber cornice continued over adjoining (RHS) doorway. Tripartite Yorkshire sash window, to first floor, with glazing bars. Cottage adjoining rear (S.) elevation forms a part of No. 183. Mid C17. Chevron-dressed sandstone; hipped and gabled clay pantile roof; stone ridge and gable copings; tall mid C19 brick stack (N. side); remains of earlier brick to gable. Single storey. 2 altered Yorkshire sash windows with glazing bars in chamfered stone surrounds. Vertically boarded door. One stone mullioned, chamfered window with timber casements to rear (W) elevation. Used as Quaker Meeting House (Licensed 1689) until 1768. Included partly for group value with Nos. 181, 185 and 187 Westgate, and for historic considerations. (B.J.D. Harrison and G. Dixon, "Guisborough Before 1900", 1981, p.156).

Listing NGR: NZ6096815788

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Harrison, B J D, Dixon, G, Guisborough Before 1900, (1981), 156

National Grid Reference: NZ 60957 15783

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139737 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 12:16:33.

End of official listing