Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1139759

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 25-Apr-1984

Statutory Address: OLD CHURCH OF ST ANDREW


Ordnance survey map of OLD CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139759 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 01:33:10.


Statutory Address: OLD CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Redcar and Cleveland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Guisborough

National Grid Reference: NZ 63712 19367


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



6/157 Old Church of 14.6.52 St Andrew (formerly listed as St Andrew's Old Church under Upleatham)


Remains of C12 church, comprising west end of nave and west tower dated 1684 on west face. Dressed sandstone; clay pantile roof with stone gable copings. Pointed-arched, chamfered doorway and hood mould in north wall of nave with corbel table at eaves (10 carved human faces and one beast to right-hand corner). South wall has 2 bays of C13 arcade, now blocked. Mid C19 east wall. Roof contains some original timbers including one carved with mystic rose design. Two-stage embattled tower with plinth, string course and louvred 2-light mullioned openings to bell chamber. Interior is plastered and plain. 2 medieval grave covers, part of a sculptured recumbent knight, a late C14 monument in the form of a mural niche containing a worn half-length figure; and the head of an Anglo-Danish cross.

(V.C.H. Yorkshire North Riding, Vol. II, pp 412/3; J.C. Atkinson, "History of Cleveland," 1874. Vol II, pp 91/4; N. Pevsner, ".... North Riding," 1966, p. 377).

Listing NGR: NZ6371219367


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 60014

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Atkinson, J C, History of Cleveland, (1874), 91/4
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of York: North Riding, (1914), 412/3
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The North Riding, (1966), 377

End of official listing