Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1139809

Date first listed: 05-May-1952



Ordnance survey map of NUNTHORPE HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139809 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 17:51:22.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Middlesbrough (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Nunthorpe

National Grid Reference: NZ5412413183


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


NUNTHORPE EAST SIDE, NZ 51SW (5413) Nunthorpe Village 6/105 Nunthorpe Hall. 5.5.52 G.V. II Manor house, c.1623, largely rebuilt and extended c.1800 and altered mid- C19. Mid/late C19 north-east service extensions. Entrance porch and projecting bay of garden front added 1901. Converted to home for elderly 1951. Dressed sandstone; Lakeland slate roofs, with stone ridge copings. 2-storey, 7-bay (west) entrance front, the 4th, 5th and 6th bays slightly recessed, with chamfered plinth and central projecting one-storey closed porch. 4-panel double doors and overlight with glazing bars, in double-keyed eared architrave and Ionic doorcase with chamfered banded-rusticated pilasters, pulvinated frieze and segmental pediment. Worn escutcheon, dated 1630 and 1901, in concave tympanum. 8-pane sash windows with glazing bars, in returns of, flanking and above porch. 3 left bays and right end bay, have sash windows with glazing bars, 6-pane on first floor. All windows have hollow-chamfered flat surrounds. Eaves cornice and blocking course. Shallow-pitched hipped roof. Corniced transverse ridge stack. 7-bay (south) garden front has slightly-projecting centre bay, with similar doorway, up 2 steps. Arms of Pease and Gurney quartered in tympanum. Sash windows with glazing bars, in hollow-chamfered flat surrounds; 6-pane middle window in eared architrave. 2 corniced ridge stacks. Right return (east) has 2 similar ground-floor, and one first-floor windows. Right 4 recessed bays with similar windows. North-east service extensions, in similar style, have steeply-pitched hipped roofs with flat top sections and corniced stacks. INTERIORS : mid and late Victorian; large stair hall has open-well staircase with closed corniced string, turned balusters, moulded handrail, panelled newels and dado rail, all enriched with classical mouldings; stair leads to gallery on 2 sides of hall. Panelled south entrance hall. Drawing room has Ionic screen; dining room has painted fielded wood panelling with fluted Ionic pilasters defining 3 x 3 bays. Oak panelled library, c.1900, has deep-coved ceiling and bookcases in recesses between windows. Office has painted wood panelling. Ground floor generally: enriched ceiling cornices, good enriched Classical chimneypieces; panelled doors and reveals in bolection-moulded architraves, some retaining brass furniture; panelled window shutters. Similar doors and surrounds on first floor; bedrooms on west side and at corners of house have enriched ceiling cornices, good Classical fireplace and some panelled walls. North end of service wing disused and dilapidated at time of resurvey.

Listing NGR: NZ5412413183


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 59823

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing