BOLCKOW TOMBSTONES, GRAVE COVER AND KERB, CIRCA 24 METRES EAST OF CHANCEL OF CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1139835

Date first listed: 28-Jul-1988

Statutory Address: BOLCKOW TOMBSTONES, GRAVE COVER AND KERB, CIRCA 24 METRES EAST OF CHANCEL OF CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT, STOKESLEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BOLCKOW TOMBSTONES, GRAVE COVER AND KERB, CIRCA 24 METRES EAST OF CHANCEL OF CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139835 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 09:39:33.

Location

Statutory Address: BOLCKOW TOMBSTONES, GRAVE COVER AND KERB, CIRCA 24 METRES EAST OF CHANCEL OF CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT, STOKESLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Middlesbrough (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 51509 15889

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MIDDLESBROUGH STOKESLEY ROAD, NZ 51 NW (5115) (west side), Marton. 4/81 Bolckow tombstones, grave cover and kerb, c. 24m -east of chancel of Church of St. Cuthbert. G.V. II 2 tombstones, grave cover and kerb, to 4 members of Bolckow family, died 1858-1890. Chamfered red sandstone kerb; grey granite grave cover, and pink granite tombstones with sandstone plinths. In middle of plot enclosed by kerb, a plain double-chamfered grave cover, the top chamfer forming a large facet. Epitaphs : on south face, to Henry William Ferdinand Bolckow of Marton Hall, 1806-1878; and on north face, to Harriet, his wife, d. 1890. At west end of plot, 2 slab tombstones, c. 120cm x 85cm, each with plinth and chamfered Celtic Calvary cross-shaped head. Biblical texts and interlaced "I.H.S." inscribed on crosses. -Right tombstone has epitaph to Mary Drearden mother of above Harriet Bolckow, d.1858; left tombstone has epitaph to Elise Caroline Sophie Hopkins, daughter of H.W.F. Bolckow, d. 1862. H.W.F. Bolckow was co-founder of the Middlesbrough iron trade in the mid-C19. Included for historic interest.

Listing NGR: NZ5150915889

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 59793

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing