CHURCH OF ST. MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1139841

Date first listed: 23-Jun-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST. MARY, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST. MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139841 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 16:05:19.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST. MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Middlesbrough (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Nunthorpe

National Grid Reference: NZ 54025 14031

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NUNTHORPE CHURCH LANE, NZ 51 SW (5414) north side.

6/102 Church of St. Mary. 23.6.66 G.V. II. Church 1924/26 by Temple Moore and Leslie T. Moore. Dressed sandstone with double-chamfered plinth. Plain clay tiled roofs. Cruciform with tower over crossing; south and west porches and clerestoried chancel with aisles. Early English style. Clasping buttresses and buttresses between bays. 2-stage squat tower has paired louvred bell openings and watershoots in spandrels, in slightly-recessed upper stage. Corbelled embattled parapet. Gabled west porch has 4 steps up to double-chamfered opening, under trefoil-headed niche holding figure of Virgin and Child. 2-bay nave has single and paired lancets; 3 lancets in west end. Slit vents above plinth in nave, transepts, and chancel aisles. South transept has 5 stepped lancets and pent east porch with Caernarvon-headed doorway under partly- blind trefoil-headed window. North transept has 3 stepped lancets under relieving arch, and slightly-projecting gabled stair turret at north-east angle, with slit windows and stack at angle. 3-bay chancel has paired clerestorey windows and tall lancet at right in south wall. 5 stepped lancets at east end. Corner stone in south-east buttress inscribed and dated 1924. 2-bay south aisle with lancets. 3-bay north aisle with square- headed windows and off-centre Caernarvon-arched boarded and studded door. All windows have original iron grilles. All openings have chamfered surrounds under hoodmoulds. INTERIOR : west porch has stone barrel roof and benches. Boarded and studded west double doors under flat arch. Double hollow-chamfered tower arch on short conjoined shaft responds, on corbels. Similar transept and chancel arches on round responds, with moulded capitals and bases. Chancel arcades have stop-chamfered square piers and continuous hoodmoulds. Caernarvon-arched door in blind east bay of north arcade. oak arcade screens, 1942, by Thompson (Kilburn). Barrel roofs in nave and transepts, with arch-braced ties and moulded wall plates. Chancel has queenpost roof trusses with arch-braced ties and curved queen struts to purlins. Wainscoting to sill height in nave and transepts. Plain oak benches. Panelled decagonal oak pulpit with dogtooth-moulded muntins, on short round colonnette. Plain circular font. Caernarvon-headed 4-bay sedilia and piscina. An important local landmark, occupying prominent position on high ground amid fields.

Listing NGR: NZ5402514031

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 59820

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing