This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1139850

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, JAMES STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Middlesbrough

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 28-Jul-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 59739

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MIDDLESBROUGH JAMES STREET NZ 51 NW (5119) (north side), North

Ormesby. 4/43 Church of the Holy Trinity. - II Church, 1868/69, with tower 1880/81, by William White (London); Allison Bros., builders. Extended 1879 by Armfield and Bottomley; Lady chapel 1925; south-west porch 1929. Nave and chancel gutted by fire 1977. Brick; Welsh slate roof. South-west tower, remains of nave arcades, north and south aisles and porch. Early English style. Double-chamfered plinth, angle buttresses and buttresses between bays. 5-stage tower has slightly-projecting west porch, with renewed double doors under blocked fanlight, in 5-stepped round-headed surround. Brass tablet in cusped niche in left buttress records building, architect and builder. 2-stage vice at south-west angle. Round-headed windows in lower 3 stages; 4th stage has tall deeply-recessed bell openings with louvres in 4-stepped surrounds. Clock faces in similar wide round-headed surrounds in 5th stage. Hoodmoulds, and strings between stages. Straight parapet and octagonal pyramidal-roofed bartizans at angles, with blind round-headed windows, moulded cornices and crocket finials. 5-bay south aisle and 4-bay north aisle, with paired cusped windows. North has boarded double doors in round-headed opening in 3rd bay; south has similar in pointed surround in 4th bay and late-C20 7-light mullioned window in 5th bay. One-bay porch has boarded double doors in canted west return. INTERIOR : 3-bay nave arcades of 2 hollow-chamfered orders on piers keeled at angles, with carved foliate stone capitals and chamfered bases; round responds and continuous hoodmould. boarded doors at east ends of aisles. Octagonal marble font on chamfered square base. Late-C20 church adjoining east end, on site of original chancel, is not of special interest. Tower is important local landmark. Included for townscape value of tower.

Listing NGR: NZ5097419952

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 50974 19952

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139850 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 10:43:40.

End of official listing