CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1139854

Date first listed: 17-Jul-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Jul-1988

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, MARTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139854 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 08:50:38.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, MARTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Middlesbrough (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 50111 20207

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for the following:

MIDDLESBOROUGH MARTON ROAD NZ 52 SW (5020) east side 2/54 Church of St. John the Evangelist 17.7.68

The building shall be upgraded to grade II*.

------------------------------------

MIDDLESBROUGH MARTON ROAD, NZ 52 SW (5020) east side. 2/54 Church of St. John the Evangelist. 17.7.68 G.V. II Church, 1863/65 by John Norton (London). Tower added 1881/83 by Alexander and Henman. One-bay west extension to nave and aisles, 1914 by C.G. Hare (London). South porch 1927. Late C20 extension to vestry. Red brick with sandstone and patterned polychrome brick dressings. Brick with stone dressings to extensions and porch. Welsh slate roofs. North-west tower, clerestoried nave with aisles, transepts and south porch, and short apsidal chancel with north vestry and south chapel Early English style, with plate tracery. West extension Decorated style with flowing tracery. 4-stage tower, with setback buttresses and moulded plinth, has boarded double doors with scrolled iron strap hinges, under cusped head on nook shafts with carved capitals, in north face. Slit lights under relieving arches in 2nd and 3rd stages. Paired bell openings with shaped louvres, in uppermost stage. Octagonal angle turrets and short, recessed octagonal spire with ball and cross finials. 4-bay nave and aisles, and one-bay extension. Windows in groups of 3. Buttresses between aisle bays. Lean-to south porch adjoins original west end bay. Extension has paired windows and original west window with Geometric-style tracery. Transepts, with angle buttresses, have rose windows above 3 lancets. Lower chancel has 3 circular clerestorey windows, and pointed windows flanked by buttresses in half-duodecagonal apse with half-pyramidal roof. Flat-roofed vestry extension. Chapel has round east window. Cross finials on all gables. INTERIOR: 6-bay nave arcades with round piers, carved capitals and moulded bases. Richly-carved roundel above chancel arch with round responds on corbels. Similar arches to transepts and south chapel. Barrel roof with moulded ribs and wall plate, and gilded richly-carved bosses. Flying buttresses in aisles support moulded panelled ceilings with similar bosses. Transepts have kingpost roof trusses with braced collars, 2 rows of purlins and collared rafters. Similar chancel roof has patterned curved braces and carved principals. 4 steps to marble-paved chancel, with good wrought-iron gates and railings. Carved panelled oak 1914-18 war memorial altar. 3-bay, 2-tier painted reredos, 1927 by Farmer (London), with Resurrection scenes in canopied niches. Carved dado panelling in sanctuary. Square carved stone font, on marble and stone colonnettes, and stone octagonal pulpit, with open trefoil-headed panels, on colonnettes, both by Farmer. Richly-carved rood with weepers, suspended from chancel arch. Good stained glass in east window depicts scenes from Life of Christ. Stained glass in aisle windows by Laver Barraud and Westlake (London). Occupies important corner site and is a local landmark.

Listing NGR: NZ5011120207

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 21 August 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 59760

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 21 August 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/250446
War Memorials Register, accessed 21 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/9723

End of official listing