This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1139855



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Middlesbrough

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Apr-1972

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 59764

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



1/57 Customs House 12.4.72 - II Coal Exchange and hotel, 1836 by G. Burlison (Darlington). Mid C19 rear extension. Used as Customs House 1881 - c.1960; now used as community centre. Brick, faced on north and east sides with sandstone ashlar; banded rustication on ground floor. Welsh slate roof with rendered stack; felt slates on rear extension. Greek revival style. 2 storeys, 3 x 3 bays defined by giant pilasters. (East) entrance front has central renewed panelled double doors, overlight and 5-pane sidelights, in doorcase with fluted Doric columns and antae. 2 sash windows with glazing bars in each bay. Chamfered plinth, sill bands on ground floor, panelled aprons below first-floor windows and entablature between floors. Flag pole, in middle of first floor, passes through cornice. Shallow parapet, slightly raised and panelled over middle bay. Shallow-pitched hipped and gabled roof. Transverse ridge stack. Similar right return with window in place of central door. 3-panel double doors and overlight up 4 steps at right end. One-storey rear extension. Altered interior retains ground and first-floor assembly rooms at north end. Both have wood door architraves. Ceiling on first floor has deep double-recessed panels with coving and dentil cornices, above panelled wood tie beam supporting short panelled queen posts with egg-and-dart mouldings. Former cottages, adjoining south side, are not of special interest.

Listing NGR: NZ4959621195

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 49596 21195


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139855 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 12:57:28.

End of official listing