Old High School, University of Teesside


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Old High School, University of Teesside, Borough Road


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139863.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2020 at 20:54:26.


Statutory Address:
Old High School, University of Teesside, Borough Road

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Middlesbrough (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 49495 19890


MIDDLESBROUGH BOROUGH ROAD, NZ 41 NE (4919) south side (off). 3/8 Old High School, Teesside University G.V. II (Formerly Listed as Old High School, Teesside Polytechnic)

High school, 1877 by A. Waterhouse; and J. Johnson (Auckland), builder. West extension dated 1906, by T.A. Lofthouse (Middlesbrough). Part of Teesside Polytechnic at the time of listing. Brick with sandstone dressings. Lakeland slate roofs; Lancashire slate, with terracotta ridge cresting, on extension. Gothic style. 2 storeys; originally 11 bays, with slightly-projecting 6-stage 3-bay central tower; 4 left bays demolished c.1965. Tower has projecting gabled porch. 3 steps up to pointed opening, with surround of 2 roll-moulded orders and chamfered responds. Raised lettering in gable : "AUT DISCE AUT DISCEDE". Chamfered and roll-moulded gable copings and renewed ornate finial. Returns have gabled angle buttresses and 3-light Caernarvon-headed windows. Renewed windows, in recessed chamfered surrounds under segmental arches, flanking porch. 2nd stage has two 2-light chamfered-mullioned windows under continuous hoodmould. Similar segment-headed window in 3rd stage flanked by paired trefoil-headed slit windows. Transomed windows in 4th and 5th stages, in tall pointed recesses under continuous hoodmould with watershots in spandrels. Aprons in 5th stage have arms of J.W. Pease and Middlesbrough Corporation and date: 1875. 6th stage has brick corbelling, with slit bell openings between corbels, flanking undersailing of gabled half dormer with mosaic clock face and ornate finial. Straight parapet; tall end stacks with linked octagonal shafts; and steeply-pitched French pavilion roof with iron cresting and spike finials. Right 4 bays have segment-headed cross windows on ground floor. Similar mullioned windows, in first and 3rd bays on first floor, alternate with tall mullioned-and-transomed windows in gabled half-dormers with plate-traceried round vents in gables. Ornate finials. Moulded sill bands, bands between floors and brick dogtooth corbelling at eaves. Left gabled timber roof dormer with shaped bargeboards. 2 similar transverse ridge stacks. 2-storey, 5-bay, projecting gabled right extension has similar windows, 3 on ground floor flanked by gabled buttresses; stepped windows on first floor. Shaped finial and similar ridge stack. Doorway, in one-bay left return of extension, has blind overlight carved with Bell, Pease and Middlesbrough Corporation arms. 3-bay right return. INTERIOR: 2 altered masonry dogleg staircases, with iron column balusters, octagonal newels and moulded wood handrails, in tower. Roof has panelled ceiling below collars and principals; octagonal ties with shaft rings and spoked bracing to principals and collars. Early/mid C20 rear extensions are not of special interest.

Listing NGR: NZ4949519890


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/09250/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].