TOWN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1139975

Date first listed: 19-Jan-1951

Statutory Address: TOWN HALL, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139975 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 02:19:25.

Location

Statutory Address: TOWN HALL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Stockton-on-Tees (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 44526 18979

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 4418 NE STOCKTON ON TEES HIGH STREET

30/80

19.1.51 Town Hall II*

1735 on the site of a Smithy, enlarged 1744 and altered later (eg a 'Piazza' on the north side added 1768 and later removed). Partly 3 and partly 2 storeys, 4 windows to south, 5 to north. Hipped pantiled roofs with central clock tower with belfry over. Brick with brick flat arches and stone cills; moulded cornice over ground floor. Moulded wooden eaves cornice. Principal front, to north is of 2 storeys with 5 round headed casement windows on the 1st floor with a wide band above and with bracketted cills. Segmental leaded windows on ground floor within channelled rendering centre window projecting slightly. Side fronts have venetian windows in 2 storey part, with Doric friezes, and the broad band returned from the north. The 3 storey parts have 5 windows each and channelled ground floor. South front glazing mutilated; the main interest is the large round headed doorpiece with engaged Doric columns and interlocked 'W' glazing in fanlight, and the town's arms set in relief in a panel above (a castle with an anchor). The clock stage of the tower is surmounted by a modillion cornice. The quoin belfry skylight above has delicate pairs of fluted Ionic columns at corner and a balcony. Above is a diminutivespirelet. 4 brick chimneys with multiple pots.

Listing NGR: NZ4452618979

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 59453

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing