This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE FOX ALMSHOUSES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE FOX ALMSHOUSES

List entry Number: 1139982

Location

1-12, THE FOX ALMSHOUSES, HIGH STREET, NORTON
14, THE FOX ALMSHOUSES, HIGH STREET, NORTON
67, HIGH STREET, NORTON

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Stockton-on-Tees

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Jan-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Jun-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 59368

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 07/05/2015

NZ 4421 NE 23/239

NORTON HIGH STREET (West side) Nos 1 to 12 (consec.) , No 14 The Fox Almshouses and No 67 High Street

(Formerly listed as Nos 1 to 12 (consec.) Fox Alms Houses and Meeting Room, and 67 High Street, previously listed as Fox Alms House).

19.1.51 GV II Built by Mr Fox in 1897 opposite his brewery in Smirke's Yard. A neat row of 13 cottages with large gables breaking forward slightly. Brick with high tiled roofs and 12 tall chimneys with spurs on each side. Paired doorways in the centre of each gable with shaped lights above; 4-light wooden transom and mullion windows on each side with Tudor arch heads. The gables are half-timbered with an alternative rectangular and diagonal patterns (the former being small attic lights) and bargeboards. At the East end, to the street, is No 67 which is treated as a continuation of the almshouses in similar style. No gable to South but a single door with a small window to the right. Half-timbered gable to street has bargeboard and is jettied and supported on a shallow 6-light bay and end brackets. A tablet in the gable, set in a Strapwork panes, flanked by female herms, states "The Fox Alms House 1897. Built and endowed by Henry Fox of Norton". The former Meeting Room (No 14) is on the South side of the garden opposite Nos 5 and 6. Single storey in similar style. Projecting gabled centre with an 8-light window, (2 of these lights being a doorway with shaped lights above). Five-light bays to East and West supporting jettied gable ends. Brick with tiled roof and Spurred chimney. Offices and walls to rear alley also included

Listing NGR: NZ4459721638

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ4459721638

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139982 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 09:47:03.

End of official listing