MAIDS HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1140037

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1985

Statutory Address: MAIDS HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MAIDS HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140037 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 00:14:40.

Location

Statutory Address: MAIDS HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Quethiock

National Grid Reference: SX3123264726

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 36 SW QUETHIOCK QUETHIOCK

12/137 Maids House

GV II

Four 1-roomed almshouses, then 2 cottages, now 1 cottage. Circa 1633-1640. Restored in 1970s-1980s. Built for poor spinsters of the parish by William Coryton. Painted stone rubble with painted rendered concrete block repairs. Rag slate roof with hipped end on left and gable end on right. Brick stack on ridge near centre replacing stone rubble stack. 2 room plan with axial stacks between, with back-to-back fireplaces. 1½ storeys, originally symmetrical, 2 window front. 2 entrance doors near centre with chamfered granite lintels and jambs with pyramid stops. C20, part glazed, plank doors. Flanking entrances, two 3-light granite mullioned windows with hollow chamfered mullions. Left-hand window renewed. Above 2 half-dormer windows with slate raking roofs, inserted in 1970s. Reused 1-light and 3-light casements with glazing. Dormers with casements to rear. Interior; 2 granite fireplaces, back-to-back, chamfered granite lintels and jambs with pyramid stops. Granite hearth to right-hand fireplace. Ceiling beams replaced. Roof of 6 bays with heavy principals chamfered below collars with straight cranked feet dying into wall. Wall plate possibly raised. Collars chamfered, dovetailed into principals. V. M and F. J Chesher. The Cornishman's House, 1968 Mary French A Victorian Village. A record of the Parish of Quethiock in Cornwall 1977

Listing NGR: SX3123264726

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 61336

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Chesher, V M, F J , , The Cornishmans House, (1968)
French, M, A Victorian Village A Record of the Parish of Quethiock in Cornwall, (1977)

End of official listing