This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

DOUBLEBOIS HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DOUBLEBOIS HOUSE

List entry Number: 1140051

Location

DOUBLEBOIS HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Dobwalls and Trewidland

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 61262

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 16 NE LISKEARD RURAL DOUBLEBOIS

4/61 Doublebois House

II

House. 1883-5 extended in 1896. For Herman family. Datestone in extension with intertwined initials C M H and date 1896. Rock faced snecked slatestone with freestone dressings. Moulded pinth, freestone quoins and parapet copings. Slate roof with gabled ends. 9 rubblestone stacks with freestone dressings. Moulded caps. Quadrangular plan with small central court. Extended on south with gabled rear wing, originally chapel. High Victorian Gothic style. 2 storeys, attic and basement. Nearly symmetrical north entrance front. 2:1:1 windows. Central 2-storey gabled porch with corbelled kneelers with gablets, and corner buttresses with set-offs and gablets. Moulded 2-centred arch doorway with Corinthian capitals and 3-light stone mullion and transom window above. Small lancet in gable. Ground floor to left and right, large stone mullion and transom windows with cusped heads lights and transoms. 1 single-light and two 2-light stone mullion windows to first floor with transoms. West front has similar window types. 1:3:2 bays with flanking gabled bays, the left with crenellated stone first floor oriel supported on buttress shaft flanked by lancets. The centre 3 window recess has stone balcony, the balustrade with shields at intervals, windows with cusped head lights and with 2-light window above. Right-hand gable has similar 5-light ground floor window, centre blind, with 2-light windows above. Wing set back to right of west front with single- storey C20 conservatory in the angle. Much of plasterwork in interior removed with several rotten floors and ceilings. Some panelling remains. Only 2 room of interior inspected. Believed to have contained a fine music room and chapel. Also much stained glass. A late example of High Victorian Gothic style. In 1910, seat of Rev. George Edward Hermon. Kellys Directory 1910.

Listing NGR: SX1980965271

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1910)

National Grid Reference: SX 19809 65271

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140051 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 10:05:44.

End of official listing