This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

OLD CLINK AND FORECOURT WALL AND ARCH TO SOUTH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OLD CLINK AND FORECOURT WALL AND ARCH TO SOUTH

List entry Number: 1140076

Location

OLD CLINK AND FORECOURT WALL AND ARCH TO SOUTH, FORE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Callington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 61228

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 36 N CALLINGTON FORE STREET (north side),

8/27 Old clink and forecourt wall and arch to south.

GV II

Vestry room and 2 lock-up cells used as a store. 1851 (datestone) at cost of £60 paid by John Couch Johns. Rubblestone with large granite quoins. String between ground and first floor. Slate roof with gabled ends to north, south and east. Projecting stone stack on west with shaft removed. Square plan with 2 rectangular cells on ground floor and single vestry room on first. 2 storeys, asymmetrical south front. Entrances to cells under 4-centred cut stone arches with original heavy planked doors and fanlights above. Bars to fanlight removed on right. First floor; 2-light casement with pointed Gothic glazing bars. Granite lintel. 4-centred granite arch doorway to right with plank door approached by external stone rubble steps. East side; 3-light casement with pointed Gothic glazing bars and datestone above in gable end. North side with similar casement. Ground rises to north to enclose ground floor. Rubblestone walls extending to south to enclose area in front of clink. Large 4-centred cut granite arch with incised spandrels forming entrance in centre on south. In 1851 Henry Bullen was appointed Parish Constable and used the 2 lock-up cells for drunks and vagrants. Vestry room was used by the relieving officers, with the overseer in attendance, when distributing weekly to the 'Out Poor'. Sheila Lightbody The Book of Callington 1982

Listing NGR: SX3585069636

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Lightbody, S, The Book of Callington, (1982)

National Grid Reference: SX 35847 69633

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140076 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 09:52:19.

End of official listing