This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MINISTRY OF DEFENCE BUILDING NUMBER A200 (WALTON HOUSE)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MINISTRY OF DEFENCE BUILDING NUMBER A200 (WALTON HOUSE)

List entry Number: 1140101

Location

MINISTRY OF DEFENCE BUILDING NUMBER A200 (WALTON HOUSE)

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Waltham Abbey

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1993

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 352178

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ROYAL GUNPOWDER FACTORY TL3700 3/10013 MOD Building No A 200 (Walton House) GV II

Superintendent's office of 1789, with later C19 extensions. Flemish bond red brick with C19 yellow brick extensions; hipped slate roofs; brick ridge and end stacks.3-room rectangular plan including bay to north added before superintendents office of 1789, extended to right of front before 1821, with later C19 extensions including one of c1887 making U-plan with rear wing. 2 storeys. C18/early C19 front of 3-window range. Gauged brick flat arches over two C20 windows and late C19 plate-glass sash on ground floor, and over 3/6-pane first-floor sashes; stepped brick eaves. c1860 2-window front to right with timber lintel over C20 door to right, and flat gauged brick arches over 6/6-pane sashes. Rear extensions have similar arches over 6/6-pane and plate-glass sashes, and canted bay window to right. Interior not inspected but known to include late C18 box cornice and cast-iron grate to NW room. The Waltham Abbey gunpowder mills were purchased from John Walton by the government in 1787. Walton House forms a group with the contemporary A 201-2 (qv). (RCHME report, 1993).

Listing NGR: TL3770800958

Selected Sources

Books and journals
The Royal Gunpowder Factory Waltham Abbey A Survey, (1994)

National Grid Reference: TL 37708 00958

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140101 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 05:45:33.

End of official listing