BRIDGE APPROXIMATELY 600 METRES EAST NORTH EAST OF SCOTLAND AT SU 96768412

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1140122
Date first listed:
04-Nov-1988
Statutory Address:
BRIDGE APPROXIMATELY 600 METRES EAST NORTH EAST OF SCOTLAND AT SU 96768412

Map

Ordnance survey map of BRIDGE APPROXIMATELY 600 METRES EAST NORTH EAST OF SCOTLAND AT SU 96768412
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140122 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-May-2019 at 19:22:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
BRIDGE APPROXIMATELY 600 METRES EAST NORTH EAST OF SCOTLAND AT SU 96768412

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
Purbeck (District Authority)
Parish:
Corfe Castle
National Grid Reference:
SY 96760 84120

Details

The following building shall be added to the list

CORFE CASTLE

SU 96 84 3/200 Bridge approx 600 metres east-north-east of Scotland at SU 96768412 II Bridge. Dated 1711 for or by William Okeden and Nathaniel Bond; altered. Ashlar with timber causeway. 2 piers: on upstream side with triangular faces to act as outwaters and with faceted corbels supporting causeway, the corbels bearing initials and date carved in relief:-"WO", "NB"; on downstream side, battered, the western 1711 one coped and the eastern one with wide groove cut out of lower courses (upper coursing partly gone). Replacement wooden causeway. On either side of the stream are retaining walls, canted on upstream side to channel floor of water. The bridge acted also as a sluice and, with leats and feeder channels linked to it, formed part of the flooding system which served the meads of the lower Corfe River Valley.

Listing NGR: SY9676084120

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
352129
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].