This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PILLAR FOUNTAIN SOUTH OF METHODIST CHAPEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PILLAR FOUNTAIN SOUTH OF METHODIST CHAPEL

List entry Number: 1140131

Location

PILLAR FOUNTAIN SOUTH OF METHODIST CHAPEL, CHAPEL STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: South Derbyshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ticknall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 28-Apr-1993

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 352052

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TICKNALL CHAPEL STREET SK 32 SE 1259-/4/10006 Pillar Fountain south of Methodist Chapel GV II

Pillar fountain. Manufactured by Glenfield and Kennedy Ltd of Kilmarnock. Erected 1914 at the instruction of Sir Vauncey Harpur-Crewe of Calke Abbey. Fluted cast iron cylindrical column, with moulded domed top, incorporating tap lever handle, Lion mask surround to tap outlet, and integral bucket platform to base. The design, apparently of the late C19 date is referred to as Kennedy's patent, self closing, anti-freezing Pillar fountain. The fountain forms part of a fresh water supply system for the village of Ticknall, (itself part of the Harpur-Crewe estate), of which 16 other examples (q.v.) survive. The fountains were served by gravity from a reservoir filled with water drawn from a well by wind-pump.



Listing NGR: SK3540324050

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK3540324050

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140131 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 09:50:51.

End of official listing