This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FARM OUTBUILDING EAST OF HIGH BIRKS FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FARM OUTBUILDING EAST OF HIGH BIRKS FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1140144

Location

FARM OUTBUILDING EAST OF HIGH BIRKS FARMHOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Crosthwaite and Lyth

National Park: LAKE DISTRICT

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Feb-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 351992

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added:-

CROSTHWAITE AND LYTH SD 49 SW 1258-/1/10001 Farm outbuilding east of High Birks Farmhouse GV II

Farm outbuilding. Dated 1695, with C19 alterations and additions. Watershot Lakeland stone rubble walling with limestone quoins, some monolithic, and limestone dressings, coped gables with kneelers and finial, and a Westmorland slate roof laid to diminishing courses. Bank barn plan, linear in form, with waggon access from high ground to rear, and cattle standings to ground floor to front. South elevation; 2 storey with overloft, 5 bays with long lean-to at west end and lower in-line gabled addition at east end. Shallow canopy to ground floor supported on timber corbels and plate shelters cowhouse entries and feed passage doorways. Massive stepped plinth interrupted by 5 plain doorways with whitewashed surrounds. 2 doors have ventilation slits, 2 are subdivided horizontally and one is now a window. There are 2 small window openings with glazing and louvres. There is an inscribed circular slate in the wall below the canopy at the west end which reads 'W.S.1695'. Above the doorway, 2 courses of projecting throughstones, and to the centre, a former winnowing doorway, now enlarged and glazed, below a slated canopy. North elevation of single storey height, with full-height double doorway and boarded doors below curved timber lintol and enclosed within shallow slated canopy. Lean-to to west with double doorway below timber lintol. South wall to lean-to appears near contemporary, and has doorways at different levels. Interior not fully inspected but observed to have a boarded threshing/loft floor and strutted roof trusses supporting a double purlin roof. One of the earliest known examples of what is held to be an C18 building type.

Listing NGR: SD4280290578

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 42802 90578

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140144 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 01:40:13.

End of official listing