This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

COTTON DOUBLING MILL AT DRAYCOTT MILLS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: COTTON DOUBLING MILL AT DRAYCOTT MILLS

List entry Number: 1140154

Location

COTTON DOUBLING MILL AT DRAYCOTT MILLS, MARKET STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Erewash

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Draycott and Church Wilne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1995

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 352026

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added:

DRAYCOTT & CHURCH WILNE MARKET STREET SK 43 SW (west side) 1194- /3/10003 Cotton doubling mill at Draycott Mills II GV

Cotton doubling mill, now disused warehouse. 1800, built for Benjamin Towle. Red brick with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. First floor sill band, coped parapet and gables. 2 storeys plus attics, 16 x 3 bays. Windows mostly boarded and some blocked, but originally segment headed cast iron casements with glazing bars. West side has regular fenestration, with an inserted door to right. East side has similar fenestration, with inserted double doors on each floor to the right, under a gable. Each end has a central gable topped with a coped stack and containing a lunette. Central door, that to north blocked, flanked by single windows. Above, 3 windows, the central one larger. South end has a bearing box, admitting drive from an adjacent building, and an iron lamp bracket at the south east corner. This building is part of an integrated works for the manufacture of cotton yarn and lace. It is also an early example of a doubling mill powered other than by water.

Listing NGR: SK4425233208

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 44252 33208

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140154 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2018 at 04:34:21.

End of official listing