This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

STATUE ABOUT 5 METRES WEST OF PENTILLIE CASTLE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STATUE ABOUT 5 METRES WEST OF PENTILLIE CASTLE

List entry Number: 1140190

Location

STATUE ABOUT 5 METRES WEST OF PENTILLIE CASTLE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Pillaton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 60926

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PILLATON SX 46 SW 6/177 Statue about 5 metres west of Pentillie Castle GV II* Statue of Sir James Tillie. Probably late C17; resited. Lead statue, set on a stone plinth. Life-size statue of Sir James Tillie, wearing a wig and coat and carrying a scroll, with good detail of costume. Set on a square stone plinth. Sir James Tillie was a self-made man, knighted by James II. Having no coat of arms, he assumed that of the German Count Tilly, which he continued to bear until his pretensions were brought to the King's notice and he was ceremoniously divested of them. He built a house and church in St Mellion parish (the house now in Pillaton parish), which he named Pentyley or Pillaton, after himself. Sources: Country Life, December 17th 1938.

Listing NGR: SX4098164554

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 17 December, (1938)

National Grid Reference: SX4098164554

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140190 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 07:41:50.

End of official listing