CHAPEL OF ST GEORGE AND ST THOMAS A BECKET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1140219

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Oct-1987

Statutory Address: CHAPEL OF ST GEORGE AND ST THOMAS A BECKET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHAPEL OF ST GEORGE AND ST THOMAS A BECKET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140219 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 18:46:19.

Location

Statutory Address: CHAPEL OF ST GEORGE AND ST THOMAS A BECKET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Calstock

National Grid Reference: SX 42524 68552

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CALSTOCK SX 4268-4368 9/40 Chapel of St George and St Thomas a Becket (formerly listed as 23.1.68 Sir Richard Edgcumbe's Chapel) GV II* Chapel. Circa 1490, built by Sir Richard Edgcumbe in memory of his escape from Sir Henry Trenowth of Bodrugan in 1483. C20 restoration. Slatestone rubble with granite dressings. C20 slate roof with ridge tiles and gable ends, incorporating some re- used hand-made crested ridge tiles. Plan: Small rectangular single cell chapel, with entrance at the front gable end and ritual east at the rear gable end. Built on the edge of a cliff overlooking the River Tamar. Exterior: The front gable end has a 3-centred arched granite doorway with roll- mouldings and recessed spandrels, C19 door with cover strips. The left and right sides each have a 2-light granite window, with chamfered 3-centred arches to lights, lattice glazing pintles remaining from shutters. The rear gable end has a 3-light granite window, hollow-chamfered, with 4-centred arched lights with leaves carved in the spandrels, semi-circular tracery above and 4-centred arch over with mutilated hood mould and pintles from shutters. Interior: Not accessible.

Listing NGR: SX4168670956

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 60791

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 8 Cornwall and Isles of Scilly,

End of official listing