This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ALMSHOUSES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ALMSHOUSES

List entry Number: 1140270

Location

ALMSHOUSES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Morval

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-Dec-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 60711

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 25 NE MORVAL LEYLAND

4/53 Almshouses -

GV II

4 almshouses now 2 private houses. 1860. Erected by John Frances Buller of Morval House (qv). Stone rubble with slate roof with gable ends and sprocketted eaves. 2 large stone rubble front lateral chimney stacks with set-offs. Row of four 1-room plan cottages; the left-hand two a mirror image of the right-hand 2 cottages, so that the centre 2 cottages have a pair of entrances at the middle of the range and the end 2 cottages have entrances in the lean-to porches at either end. 2 cottages to right sharing right-hand-front lateral chimney stack and cottages to left sharing similar left-hand stack. Single storey C19 outshut to rear. Almshouses now divided to form a pair of semi-detached cottages. 2 storeys symmetrical 4-window front with complete C19 fenestration with diamond- leaded glazing bars. Ground floor with 2 pairs of C19 3-light casements flanking the 2 projecting front lateral chimney stacks with central pair of entrances in chamfered 4-centred freestone arches now partly blocked. Outer pair of entrances in lean-to stone rubble porches on gable ends with 4-centred freestone arches. First floor with 2 pairs of C19 3-light casements in gabled half-dormers directly above C19 ground floor window openings. Memorial plaque on left-hand chimney stack relates to earlier almshouses at Higher Trenode stating 'This house and two closes of land were purchased June y 14th 1746. By Jon Francis Buller Esq out of the profit of the Estates in Kent deuised By Sir John Hayward Knight to Charitable Uses and given to the poor housekeepers of this Parish for Ever.' Second plaque on right-hand chimney stack states 'These Almshouses were rebuilt on this site in the year 1860 by John Francis Buller Esqr. Great Great Grandson of the founder.' Polsue, J Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall 1867-73 reprinted 1974.

Listing NGR: SX2762157515

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Polsue, J, Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, (1872)

National Grid Reference: SX 25836 57206

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140270 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2018 at 12:59:52.

End of official listing