Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1140280

Date first listed: 18-Dec-1985

Statutory Address: LIMEKILN ON A387 25M TO NORTH OF BAMADA


Ordnance survey map of LIMEKILN ON A387 25M TO NORTH OF BAMADA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140280 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 19:27:56.


Statutory Address: LIMEKILN ON A387 25M TO NORTH OF BAMADA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Morval

National Grid Reference: SX2502156689


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



4/76 Limekiln on A 387 25m to north of - Bamada


Limekiln. Possibly C18. Stone rubble with dressed stone arches. Almost square in plan with 2 round arched dressed stone openings with deeply splayed reveals, blocked to rear and single cylindrical chamber within. Flat top, built into side of steep slope to aid top loading with stone rubble retaining walls to rear. Much overgrown at time of inspection. Built about 80m to east of East Looe River and Liskeard and Union Canal which was authorised in 1825 for agricultural work linking Liskeard with the tidal water at Looe. Limestone carried by barge was burnt at the 4 limekilns at Sandplace (qv Limekiln Cottage and limekiln adjoining to left, Limekiln 40m to south east of Old Post Office, Limekiln on A 387 to north of Bamada and limekilns adjoining Higher Cliff in Duloe Parish). Limekilns further to north (qv limekiln to south of South Lankelly in St Keyne Parish and limekiln at Moorswater in Liskeard Rural District). The canal was later replaced by the Liskeard and Caradon Railway, opened in 1846. Full accounts for the canal including plans and sections, correspondence and list of land use in Cornwall County Record Office. Records extanct for erection of limekilns at Sandplace by John Francis Buller of Morval in 1743 and 1766-67 (Antony: BA/20/17b). Farm accounts reveal that the Morval lands received a heavy dressing of lime to counteract the acidity of the soil making it suitable for wheat and barley. An annual lease of 1777 required each acre of land to be dressed with 80 horse loads of good salt, sea sand or four 16 gallon bushels of lime. Cornwall Record Office Turnpikes, Canal and Ferries Handlist No. 5, 1983 Pounds, N.J.G. 'Barton Farming in Eighteenth Century Cornwall'. Journal of the Royal Institution of Cornwall, New Series, Volume VII, part I, 1973, 55-75

Listing NGR: SX2502156689


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 60735

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Turnpikes Canals and Ferries, (1983)
'Journal of the Royal Institute of Cornwall' in Journal of the Royal Institute of Cornwall, , Vol. 7, (1973), 55-75

End of official listing