CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1140379
Date first listed:
17-Jan-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
22-Nov-1982
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN, ST STEPHEN'S ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140379.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Feb-2020 at 03:43:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN, ST STEPHEN'S ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Saltash
National Grid Reference:
SX 41700 58334

Details

ST STEPHEN'S ROAD 1. 5155 Church of St Stephen (formerly listed under St Stephen) SX 4158 5/2 17.1.52 GV 2. The C13 church on this site was probably replaced by the present building in the C15. It is built in local stone with 3 aisles, 5 bays and a tall 3 stage north-west tower with set back buttresses and crenellations. The tower has an angled stair turret to north. The belfry windows have pierced slate filling. The north and west windows appear early Perpendicular in style. Slate roof (dated 1866). Gabled vestry to north-east (contemporary with north aisle). Gabled south porch with handsome mouldings to archway. On the exterior is an elegant incised slate slab on south-west corner. Interior: porch has good waggon roof with bosses, 3 aisles have waggon roofs rood loft opening: south-west wall of middle chancel. Font is Norman square with carved sides and 5 supports, similar to others in Cornwall, see Bodmin, SS. Nicholas and Faith in Saltash itself. 2 elaborate c 1600 monuments in north-east corner, in slate (Hitchens family) and another early C17 relief monument in a flat niche. Numerous wall monuments. Very brightly painted c 1900 7 bay Gothic style reredos. Mediaeval coffin lid in north-west corner of nave. Until 1881 this was the Parish Church of Saltash although fully a mile from the centre.



Listing NGR: SX4165558278

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
60462
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04418/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter B. Brooks. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].