This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MIDDLEMORES ALMSHOUSES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MIDDLEMORES ALMSHOUSES

List entry Number: 1140420

Location

MIDDLEMORES ALMSHOUSES, STANHOPE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Erewash

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Stanton by Dale

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 352301

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PARISH OF STANTON BY DALE STANHOPE STREET SK 43 NE 6/98 (West Side) Middlemores 10.11.67 Almhouses II

Terrace of seven almshouses, now five. 1711, extended in 1735, 1829 and 1904. Built by the charity founded by the will of Joseph Middlemore in 1711. Red brick. Plain tile roof with five brick ridge stacks. Gabled dormers with brick copings and plain kneelers. Single storey. South elevation of fourteen bays. Left to right, three wooden cross windows, the third formerly a door, doorway, three more cross windows (again the third formerly a door), doorway, three cross windows (the third formerly a door), doorway, three cross windows, doorway and a cross window. All under flat brick arches. C19 half glazed doors except for one C20 panelled door. Projecting gabled bay to right with one similar window. Three gables above with slate inscription panels. The left gable records details of the original charity of 1711 funded by the will of Joseph Middlemore and carried out by his wife. The second gable records the building of two more almshouses in 1735 by the will of Winifrede Middlemore. The third gable records further enlargement in 1829. In the right; hand gable a further panel recording the building of another house in 1904.

Listing NGR: SK4653438131

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 46534 38131

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140420 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 10:45:12.

End of official listing