Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST WILFRID
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140423.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 04:38:58.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Erewash (District Authority)
West Hallam
National Grid Reference:
SK 43218 41116


PARISH OF WEST HALLAM THE VILLAGE SK 44 SW 2/107 (South Side) Church of St Wilfrid l0.ll.67 II*

Parish church. C14, C15, restored in C19. Coursed squared gritstone with gritstone dressings. Welsh slate roof with decorative ridge tiles. Moulded stone coped gables and parapets. West tower, aisled nave, chancel and north porch. Moulded plinth. West tower of two stages. Tall lower stage has low diagonal buttresses to west. West doorway moulded, with buttress shafts. 3-light Perp window above, with depressed four-centred arch and a castellated transom. Single lancet window to south. The bell stage has 2-light cusped Y-tracery bell openings to each face. Below on the north side is a clock. Battlements with gargoyles at the angles. C19 south aisle of three bays divided by buttresses. Doorway with moulded pointed arch and studded door, in the west bay, and 2-light windows in other bays, of two cusped lancets under square heads. C20 boiler house to west of aisle, not of special interest. West window of two cusped lancets. C17 clerestory of three 2-light windows. Arched lights under square heads. Plain parapet. 2-light east window with reticulation unit and hoodmould with head stops. Two bay chancel divided by a buttress. Two 2-light windows under square heads, consisting of cusped lancets with mouchettes above. All C19. 3-light east window has Dec tracery renewed in the C19. The north side of the chancel has a 2-light window of two cusped lancets under a four-centred arch, deeply set, with concave surround. The north vestry is a continuation of the aisle. Doorway to east with wave moulded surround and hoodmould with headstops. Window above of three cusped lancet lights under an almost triangular head. North aisle of three bays. Unbuttressed. Three windows of two cusped lancet lights under square heads, with returned hoodmoulds. Clerestory as on the south side. Square porch has a doorway with wave moulding, buttress shafts and hoodmould with head stops. Single lancet at the west end of the north aisle. Plain parapet to clerestory, aisle and porch. Interior: three bay arcades with octagonal piers and abaci, and double chamfered arches. Single chamfered tower arch with inner chamfered order on corbels. Double chamfered chancel arch with semi-circular responds. Various incised slabs and brass indents set in the chancel floor. Monument in the chancel set in a semi-circular headed recess. To Walter Powtrell, died 1598, and wife, recumbent alabaster effigies on a tomb chest. Incised slab to Thomas Powtrell, died 1484. Wall tablet in the south aisle to William Simpson, died 1790, by Braddow. Tablet in the north aisle dated 1697 with Latin inscription, heavy scrolled pediment. Corbelled out piscina with plain chamfered arch. In the south aisle chapel, a tiny trefoiled piscina set low down. Unmoulded octagonal font on a square base, with broaches at the angles of the bowl. C19 Jacobean style pulpit. C19 tiled sanctuary. Stained glass. Chancel east window of 1855 by O'Connor. Medieval glass in the chancel north window with quarries of birds and later shields. Chancel south window, C19, with figures set in architectural niches and with a background of acorns and oak leaves. North aisle west window of 1928.

Listing NGR: SK4321841116

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 25 January 2017.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


War Memorials Register, accessed 25 January 2017 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01582/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Holt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].