This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ENGINE HOUSE AND CHIMNEY AT JOPE'S SHAFT

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ENGINE HOUSE AND CHIMNEY AT JOPE'S SHAFT

List entry Number: 1140479

Location

ENGINE HOUSE AND CHIMNEY AT JOPE'S SHAFT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: St. Cleer

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Nov-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 62228

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST CLEER SOUTH CARADON MINE SX 26 NE 11/90 Engine house and chimney at Jope's shaft II Engine house and chimney. Circa 1864. Granite rubble with granite quoins and brick dressings. Rectangular engine house, with rear gable end to south, front gable end to north with remains of attached rectangular building. Detached chimney about 10 metres to north east, connected by an underground flue to the middle building. Engine house North gable end has wide round arch at ground floor, narrow arch above, 2 small square openings above and round arched opening in the gable apex. Left side has a window with flat granite lintel at ground floor, 2 round-arched openings at first floor and window at upper right level with flat granite lintel. Right side has doorway with flat granite lintel, round-arched window at first floor. The rear gable end is the bob wall, with round-arched window at ground floor with splayed reveal internally; upper bob opening across the whole width of the building. Trench and side walls to south east of bob wall. Interior: Engine pit at the rear gable end. Remains of rectangular building attached to west, with chimney about 3 metres from its north gable end. The chimney is circular in plan, tapered, with an inspection hole at the base. Connected by an underground flue to the middle building. Jope's Shaft was an extension of the South Caradon Mine; the shaft was sunk in 1864, and a man-engine was put in to Jope's Shaft by 1868. The mine was closed in 1885. Sources: Barton, D.B.: A Historical Survey of the Mines and Mineral Railways of East Cornwall and West Devon 1964.

Listing NGR: SX2654269788

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Barton, D B , A Historical Survey of the Mines and Mineral Railways of East Cornwall and West Devon, (1964)

National Grid Reference: SX 26542 69788

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140479 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 03:41:25.

End of official listing