HOUSEMAN'S SHAFT ENGINE HOUSE AT SOUTH PHOENIX MINE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1140490

Date first listed: 05-Nov-1987

Statutory Address: HOUSEMAN'S SHAFT ENGINE HOUSE AT SOUTH PHOENIX MINE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOUSEMAN'S SHAFT ENGINE HOUSE AT SOUTH PHOENIX MINE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140490 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 23:07:45.

Location

Statutory Address: HOUSEMAN'S SHAFT ENGINE HOUSE AT SOUTH PHOENIX MINE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Linkinhorne

National Grid Reference: SX 26146 71460

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LINKINHORNE SX 27 SE 6/22 Houseman's Shaft Engine House - at South Phoenix Mine II Engine house with attached chimney at South Phoenix copper mine. Mid C19. Granite rubble with granite quoins and brick dressings. Plan: Rectangular plan engine house, with bob wall at one gable end and attached chimney at the opposite gable end. Gable end with bob opening, also has 2 round-arched openings at upper level with brick dressings, and a brick chimney stacks at the apex of the gable. The right side has openings at first and second floors, with timber lintels, and an upper opening with a round brick arch. Left side the same. The rear gable end has a wide opening with timber lintel at ground, first and second floor; attached circular plan chimney, in rubble, tapered, with brick top and cornice. South Phoenix was re-started for copper in 1847 and, equipped with a 28 inch rotary engine, was down to 120 fathoms by 1854. It does not appear to have been a financial success, except perhaps in the initial years. In 1870, the growing richness of Phoenix United in the north started yet another re-working to explore the deep tin propects. Sources: Barton, D.B.: A Historical Survey of the Mines and Mineral Railways of East Cornwall and West Devon 1964.

Listing NGR: SX2614671460

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 62160

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Barton, D B , A Historical Survey of the Mines and Mineral Railways of East Cornwall and West Devon, (1964)

End of official listing