This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WESTCOTT

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WESTCOTT

List entry Number: 1140496

Location

WESTCOTT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Linkinhorne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-Aug-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 62166

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LINKINHORNE SX 27 SE 6/29 Westcott 8.8.83 II* Farmhouse, now house. Late C16 - early C17 origin; remodelled and extended in 1653 by Edward Kneebone; what survives may be a fragment of a larger house of this date, or possibly the house was never completed. Alterations of early C18, circa 1700, including the stair. Later alterations of C19 and C20. Slatestone rubble with granite dressings. Slate roof with ridge tiles and gable ends. Gable end stack with rubble shaft and granite coping to right gable end and gable end stack to front left wing. Plan: What remains is an L-plan fragment of a probably larger building, which may have been a U-plan. As seen from the front, the later parlour wing of 1653 is to right, and the wing projecting to front left is the earlier building. This appears to be the hall and inner room; the hall is heated by a stack now at the front gable end, which would originally have been in an axial position at its lower end. The inner room has a later corner fireplace on what would have been the rear wall. Probably in the later C17 or early C18, the front or rear of this hall (now the left side) was extended, so that it projects beyond the inner room. In 1653, the house was enlarged by a stair hall and main parlour, attached at right angles to the inner room and with access into the original hall. The staircase was reconstructed in circa 1700, with a closet at ground floor below the stair well. In circa mid C19, a doorway was inserted in the front of the stair hall, which was re-inserted as a window in late C20. The need for a doorway in this position indicates either that the U-plan wing with main entrance was removed. It seems likely that the work of remodelling and enlarging the house in 1653 was interrupted before a main entrance was built. Exterior: 2 storeys; in the parlour wing, the ground floor has 3-light stone mullion window (C20 replacement) and a 6-light granite window with king mullion, hood mould with stops. First floor has 3-light and 4-light granite mullion windoows, with king mullions, hood moulds with stops. At first floor to centre, granite stone with EK and crest, an uprooted tree; datestone 1653 to right. To left, there is a small chamfered single light at ground and first floor. To left, there is the 2-storey gabled wing of the early house. This has end stack with oven at the base, porch with pitched roof and C20 door to left of the stack. The right gable end of the parlour wing is rendered, with 2-light chamfered granite casement at first floor to left, with iron stanchions and hood mould. At the left side, the front wing has ground and first floor 3-light wooden casement, at first floor with L hinges. Sipped roof to left, with C20 glazed door and first floor 3-light casement, blocked chamfered granite window to left; buttress. The rear is rendered, with 2 windows at first floor in the stair hall, one 3-light and small 2-light, both granite casements with hollow-chamfered mullions. Interior: The parlour in the parlour wing has a large chamfered granite fireplace with flat lintel and C19 wooden mantel. Slate floor. Fine plasterwork ceiling of 1653 with knot pattern, acorn and oak leaf bosses and fruit sprays. C18 box cornice. C18 doorframe with C19 plain door. The stair hall has an open-well stair, with early C18 balustrade at first floor with turned balusters. The doorframe to the closet under the stairs is ovolo-moulded, with a bobbin-turned balustrade as a ventilator over the doorway; 2-panelled door. The doorway to left, leading into the original hall, has a fine 9-panelled door, with moulded studded battens and fleur-de-lys strap hinges. The frame, facing the hall is ovolo-moulded, with vase stops with carved stylised flowers. The original hall has slate floor and heavy chamfered beams; extended by a further bay to the outer side. Gable end fireplace of C20 reconstruction. The inner room altered in late C20 with corner fireplace. At first floor, there are 3 fine C17 panelled doors, in ovolo-moulded frames, leading to the chamber over the parlour, the chamber over the stair hall and the chamber over the original inner room. Good ironmongery to the doors. The chamber over the parlour has plaster barrel vault, plain; there is a honeysuckle plasterwork frieze and cornice, and plasterwork overmantel with vase of flowers and a bird perching on a stem. The fireplace is granite, with cambered chamfered arch. The plaster frieze is carried over the feet of the principals. Over the stairs is a small closet of uncertain purpose. Roof: Chamfered collars over the parlour wing. Much renewed in late C20. Westcott retains unusually high quality internal features, particularly the plasterwork.

Listing NGR: SX2917273224

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SX 29423 73691

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140496 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 11:17:08.

End of official listing