This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1140516



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: St. Germans

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 21-Jul-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 62115

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


ST GERMANS ST GERMANS SX 35 NE 7/119 (17/67) Port Eliot House 21.2.51 GV I

Country house in a landscaped park. Contains a medieval core from the Priory of St Germans; the early C18 building, largely rebuilt and refaced by John Soane 1804-6, and with a service wing of 1829 by H. Harrison. Later C19 alterations. Rubble with stone dressings. Slate roofs behind embattled parapets. Plan: Entrance front to west, with the 2 parallel service wings of 1829 projecting to front left, enclosing a small service courtyard, with a carriageway at the front. The main house by Soane has rooms arranged in 2 ranges, with the saloon and drawing room facing north (at the left side) with the circular drawing room by Soane to rear left; stair hall between the entry hall and the saloon to left. Other rooms facing the south, include the billiard room and dining room. Gothic style. Exterior: The entrance front is of 2 storeys on plinth and 6 bays, with embattled parapet over coved cornice. All windows paired 8-pane sashes with hood mould, first floor string course. First floor 2 central windows have Gothic glazing bars. Central porte-cochere is of 1829 by Harrison and has 4-centred arch and hood mould, inner panelled double doors with moulded architrave. 4 bays to left in greenstone coursed square rubble, 2 bays to right in sandstone. Service wing projects to left, 2 storeys and 5 bays with buttresses and embattled parapet, paired sashes with hood moulds. Right side has polygonal tower to each end with pointed arched 12-pane sashes. 1:3:5:3:1 bays, with central 5 bays broken forward. All windows sashes, with cambered brick heads at ground floor, 4-centred arches at first floor. Central French windows and French window to left. Centre bays have modillion cornice. 3 bays to right retain 12-pane sashes at ground and first floors. Low screen wall attached to left, with pair of square plinths and wrought iron gates across, urns over piers. 5 granite steps leading to the entrance front, with splayed wrought iron railings to each side. Left side has bow to left of the circular drawing room. Rendered central range of 4:3:2 bays with central bay broken forward and embattled parapet. Bow has blind 9- pane sash at basement level, 12-pane sash at ground floor and 9-pane sash at first floor. The central 3 bays of the centre range are in rusticated granite ashlar of the C18 at basement, with central round-arched doorway with console keystone, round- arched 6-pane sash to right and left with splayed glazing bars and cornice over. All windows sashes of varied sizes. Service wing projecting to right, in 1:3:2 bays, with sashes at basement, ground and first floors. Rear is in 3:1:2 bays; central canted bay through 2 storeys, with 15-pane sash at ground floor with Gothic glazing bars, first floor 9-pane sash. Sashes in bays to right and left with brick surrounds. To right, the bow of the circular ballroom with sashes at basement, ground and first floor. Interior: All features of interior remain as described in sources. The park was landscaped by Repton, Red Book dated 1793. Sources: Hussey, C.: Country Life, October 15, 22 and 29, 1948.

Listing NGR: SX3596357791

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in October 15, (1948)
'Country Life' in October 22, (1948)
'Country Life' in October 29, (1948)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 8 Cornwall and Isles of Scilly,

National Grid Reference: SX 35960 57793


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140516 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2017 at 11:42:47.

End of official listing