PRINCE OF WALES ENGINE HOUSE AT PHOENIX UNITED MINE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1140530

Date first listed: 05-Nov-1987

Statutory Address: PRINCE OF WALES ENGINE HOUSE AT PHOENIX UNITED MINE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PRINCE OF WALES ENGINE HOUSE AT PHOENIX UNITED MINE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140530 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 21:22:42.

Location

Statutory Address: PRINCE OF WALES ENGINE HOUSE AT PHOENIX UNITED MINE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Linkinhorne

National Grid Reference: SX 26625 71983

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LINKINHORNE SX 27 SE 6/19 Prince of Wales Engine House at - Phoenix United Mine II Engine house at Prince of Wales shaft, Phoenix United Mine. 1910. Granite rubble with red brick dressings. Plan: Rectangular engine house with chimney attached to the south west corner. Attached to left, the remains of large rectangular building; about 10 metres from the rear left, a further building. Also about 50 metres from the rear, a further building, probably for the six head of pneumatic stamps. Engine house on plinth, with gable end to front with chimney attached to left; the chimney has a square plan base, rising to the height of the engine house, broached at the top with a circular tapered brick chimney with cornice. The gable end has a wide round brick arch at ground floor with 2 narrower round-arched brick openings above. The right side has 2 round-arched openings at ground floor, one at first and second floors. Lower ground level has round-arched opening. Left side has round-arched opening at first floor, oculus at second floor. Rear has round-arched bob opening, leading to a trench at right angles to the engine house. Rectangular building attached to left has arcade of 3 round brick arches to front, 2 of them blind and smaller arches set within, the central arch open. Building 10 metres from rear left A single storey rectangular building with gable ends, 3 round-arched brick openings to the side. One gable end has bob opening, with round-arch to left and right and oculus at the apex of the gable. Other gable end has round-arched doorway to right and left. Attached to the side, remains of 2 further buildings, also single storey, with gable ends and round-arched openings. Stamps 50 metres from the rear 2-storey building with gable ends; along the front are 7 segmental-headed window openings, at upper level. 3 similar openings in gable end to right. Housing for engine at the left end and opening to full height of the buiding to front and rear at the left end. In 1910, this mine had a new 80 inch pumping engine, built by Eolman Brothers Ltd of Camborne. There was also a Robey 2-speed horizontal winding engine and a six head of pneumatic stamps. Drainage was difficult, and work was abandoned in 1914. Sources: Barton, D.B.: A Historical Survey of the Mines and Mineral Railways of East Cornwall and West Devon 1964.

Listing NGR: SX2662571983

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 62158

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Barton, D B , A Historical Survey of the Mines and Mineral Railways of East Cornwall and West Devon, (1964)

End of official listing