Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140544.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Apr-2021 at 07:07:00.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
St. Germans
National Grid Reference:
SX 35942 57751


ST GERMANS CHURCH STREET (north side), SX 35 NE St Germans 7/90 (17/65) Church of St Germanus 23.1.68 GV I

Parish church. C12, consecrated in 1261, south chapel of late C14, extended in C15; north aisle rebuilt 1888, with other alterations. Slatestone rubble, greenstone and sandstone dressings, slate roofs. Plan: Nave and chancel in one, 2 west towers with south west porch set in the angle and leading into the south aisle. North transept and vestry. The nave has a porch under a gable at the west end, with fine Norman door, double doors; in the upper gable end 3 round arched lights with nook shafts. Tower to south west, in 3 stages, with string courses and embattled parapets, pilasters at first and second stages, round arched lancets; 2-light 4-centred arched bell-openings at 3rd stage with cusped lights and wooden louvres, clock to north and south, dated 1781. Tower to north west, in 3 stages, with clasping buttresses at first and second stage rising to broach to the top octagonal stage with embattled parapet. Round-headed lancets; east door in greenstone with stepped rounded arch and jamb shafts. C19 door with strap hinges. The north side of the nave and chancel has embattled parapet, nave has two 3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery. Embattled parapet to vestry. The south aisle is of 4 bays with embattled parapet and weathered buttresses. Four 4-light windows, all with 4-centred arches, upper tracery and hood mould; Tudor arched door to east. Two 3-light Perpendicular style windows at the east end, and upper 3-light similar window. South west porch has moulded cornice and embattled parapet. 4-centred arched door to south with hood mould. 4-centred arched west doorway with quatrefoils in spandrels, roll-moulded with hood mould; mask gargoyles. Chancel has 5-light east window with transom, all trefoil-headed lights with Perpendicular tracery, 4-centred arch and hood mould. Interior: Unplastered walls. Nave and chancel in one, with C19 wagon roof. 7-bay south arcade of round piers with fluted abaci, 4-centred arches, 3 arches to west stepped, other moulded; similar columns with stepped arch to north, formerly to the family pew, now organ chamber. One clerestorey window with chevron jambs above the south arcade. South aisle has similar C19 roof. East piscina with ogee hood, sedilia with gabled crocketed hood and tomb recess with ogee hood. Second tomb recess with ogee hood in main south wall of aisle. Holy water stoup by west door. South west tower has round arch to aisle, with round columns with fluted abaci, clustered columns to east and north. Similar stepped arch with clustered columns to north west tower. Fittings: font in nave. Misericord in south aisle. Royal Arms dated 1660 in south aisle. Eliot arms in nave. Monuments: In north west tower, the Rysbrack monument to Edward Eliot, 1772; marble sarcophagus to Susan Countess of St Germans, 1830. In nave: slate tablet with acrostic inscription in Latin to Ionhannes Minister, 1631; marble tablet to Walter Moyle, 1701; pair of marble monuments with broken pediments and pilasters, to John Glanville, 1735 and Elizabeth Glanville, 1748. In south aisle: marble ledger stone to Ann Eliot, 1723; monument by Westmacott, to John, first Earl St Germans, 1823; slate ledger stones to Richard Boger, 1733 and Sarah Nanjulian, 1778. Glass: chancel east window has stained glass, dedicated 1896, by E. Burne Jones. For further details, see sources: Radcliffe, E. Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970. Spence, J.E.: St Germans Priory Cornwall.

Listing NGR: SX3594057753


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)
Spence, J E , St Germans Priory Cornwall
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 8 Cornwall and Isles of Scilly,


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Feb 2004
Reference: IOE01/10722/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Nilsson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].