SIR WILLIAM MOYLE'S ALMSHOUSES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1140548

Date first listed: 21-Jul-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Oct-1987

Statutory Address: SIR WILLIAM MOYLE'S ALMSHOUSES, GALLERY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SIR WILLIAM MOYLE'S ALMSHOUSES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140548 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 12:44:31.

Location

Statutory Address: SIR WILLIAM MOYLE'S ALMSHOUSES, GALLERY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Germans

National Grid Reference: SX 35469 57922

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST GERMANS GALLERY LANE, St Germans SX 35 NE 7/103 Sir William Moyle's Almshouses (formerly listed as almshouses, 21.7.51 called the Galleries) GV II*

Almshouses. 1583, with substantial C20 alterations. Slatestone rubble. Slate roof with gable ends and gable end stacks with rubble shafts, shaped granite caps and cornices. 4 similar axial stacks. Plan: A long rectangular range with 6 one-room plan almshouses on the ground floor and 6 similar plan almshouses above on the first floor, with access via stairs at either end of a gallery across the front which forms a loggia for the ground storey houses. Converted into 4 dwellings in C20. Exterior: 2 storeys. The open galleried front has 6 slate-hung gables supported on square stone rubble piers with chamfered corners. The piers are connected by a low stone rubble wall at the base which rises to the first floor level at either end, where the stone stairs give access to the gallery, which has a simple timber railed balustrade. Ground and first floor have 3 doors with granite hollow-chamfered and stopped surrounds; arranged at ground and first floor with 2-light casement, door, 3 casements, door, 2 casements, door and 2 casements. All C20 windows. Left side has 2-pane sash at ground and first floor to right. Rear has 2-storey additions of C20. Interior: Much altered in C20. Roof structure not inspected.

Listing NGR: SX3546957922

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 62100

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing