Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1140742

Date first listed: 26-Mar-1986



Ordnance survey map of SCLERDER ABBEY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140742 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 23:52:10.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Lansallos

National Grid Reference: SX2215053055


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


LANSALLOS SCLERDER LANE, (south side), SW 25 SW Polperro 4/197 Sclerder Abbey - II

Monastery for enclosed order of Carmelites, including walls to north front and east and cemetery walls to east. Circa 1840s. Extended in the late C19, 1920s and in 1937. Stone rubble with slate roofs with gable ends. 1937 extension with front wall of red brick. Main range of overall H-shaped plan with refectory in central range, kitchens in cross wing on left and sister's chapel in crosswing on right. Further public church added in circa 1920s at right angles to private chapel with common chancel; gatehouse added to front of cross wing on right possibly in late C19 or early C20; noviciate in C18 cottage to front of left-hand cross wing, remodelled in C20, and large range added to rear of left-hand wing in 1937. Main range behind high stone wall; regular 4-window front with entrance in left-hand angle. of central range. and cross wing. C19 fenestration with evidence of several alterations in C20. Gabled half-dormers above and C20 extension to front on right. 3-storey gatehouse on road side to right with double gabled asymmetrical 2-window front. Ground floor with two 3-light mullion windows flanking moulded 2-centred arch with double plank door and ornate hinges. Further 1-light window to right and 2- light window in C20 extension. First floor with two 4-light mullion windows and second floor with two 1-light mullion window, all with hoodmoulds. Interior with C19 pitch pine joinery and with carved stone fireplace in 1937 range with relief depicting S. Francis of Assisi. High stone rubble wall to front on north and continuing along east side of monastery. Stone rubble walls to public cementry on east with series of semi-circular niches. Originally a Fransican Monastery, followed by Poor Clares, and now an enclosed order of Carmelites. It was associated with Sir Harry Trelawney who was a convert and later a Catholic Bishop in Rome, and with his 2 daughters Letitia Trelawney and Mary Harding. During the 1840s the Franciscan monks living at Sclerder celebrated mass in the chapel at Trelawne (qv) which was opened for public worship to Roman Catholics by Sir Harry Trelawney. The chapel reverted to Anglican use when Sir Harry died. Letitia Trelawney, Mary Harding and Lewis Harding (responsible for many early photographs of Polperro and also Trelawne) are buried at Sclerder Abbey. Lanyon, A The Rooks of Trelawne 1976 Grylls, R. Glynn Trelawne.

Listing NGR: SX2215053055


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 61558

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Grylls, R G, Trelawne
Lanyon, A, The Rocks of Trelawne, (1976)

End of official listing