KILLIGARTH MANOR

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1140790

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Mar-1986

Statutory Address: KILLIGARTH MANOR

Map

Ordnance survey map of KILLIGARTH MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140790 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 23:59:25.

Location

Statutory Address: KILLIGARTH MANOR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Lansallos

National Grid Reference: SX 21534 51620

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LANSALLOS SX 2051-2151 5/3 Killigarth Manor (formerly 27.8.52 listed as Killigarth House)

GV II Manor house, now holiday accommodation. 1872 (datestone). Reused dressed stone from earlier manor house. Possible that part of core of earlier house may have been remodelled rather than rebuilt. Stuccoed stone rubble with granite dressings. Rusticated quoins. Slate roof with gabled ends to each of the 3 ranges. Pyramid slate roof to original entrance tower. Two parallel ranges forming double depth plan, with third range across the left-hand end and a tower originally the entrance porch at the opposite right-hand end. House now divided into holiday flats. 2 storeys asymmetrical 5-window west front with much reused dressed stone from earlier manor house. Comprises gable end of cross wing on left and west front of double depth range on right. Ground floor with reused 3-light granite window with hollow-chamfered jambs and hoodmould on left. Flanked by reused pilasters with ionic volutes at bases. Datestone to right, '1662'. Porch to left of centre, of stone rubble with slate roof with gable end, reused 2-light mullion window with hollow-chamfered jambs on front and single-light window in right-hand side wall. Reused 3-centred arch in left-hand side wall with chamfered jambs with ball stops with run-out stops below. Inner door with 3-centred granite arch with heavy rollmould. At centre and to right 4-light and 3-light granite mullion windows with hollow-chamfered jambs and segmental arched openings. Hoodmoulds and flanking reused pilasters with volutes below. Between openings, C20 garage doors in wide opening with hoodmould. First floor with three 6-pane sashes with hoodmoulds and flanking pilasters. 4-pane sash to left of centre and tall stair window with segmental arched opening to right of centre. On the south elevation a square tower of 3 stages projects slightly off centre from the double gable end of the main range. The tower has rusticated quoins which are chamfered on the ground floor and alternate above. The entrance, although blocked, retains its reused 3-centred chamfered arch with unusual stops. The arch has probably been heightened. Above is a panel comprising of an arcade of blind trefoiled arches with a datestone 1872 above. Segmental arched sashes in side walls and in first stage. Roundels in second stage. Dentilled string course and modillion cornice to pyramid roof with shaped slates and slender wooden cupola with ogee hexagonal dome with ball at apex and wrought iron finial. Rear garden elevation front to east with symmetrical 2-window front with canted bay windows on ground floor and sashes on first. Interior not accessible at time of inspection. Property of John de Kylgat, Bearers, Bevills and Grenvilles (qv Talland Church). Manor house reputed to have been demolished after 1820. Possible site to west. Present house erected 1872. However, J. Couch in his History of Polperro, published in 1871 after his death describes Killigarth Manor in detail. He includes a description of a fine room, used as a sleeping compartment with vaulted ceiling with longitudinal and transverse mouldings, decorated with paintings of the History of Paradise. Additionally C17 records record the existance of a bell tower.

Listing NGR: SX2153451620

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 61468

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Couch, J, History of Polperro, (1871)

End of official listing