TAKE-OFF STONE 200 METRES TO NORTH OF CADSON

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1140826

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1985

Statutory Address: TAKE-OFF STONE 200 METRES TO NORTH OF CADSON

Map

Ordnance survey map of TAKE-OFF STONE 200 METRES TO NORTH OF CADSON
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140826 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 10:16:46.

Location

Statutory Address: TAKE-OFF STONE 200 METRES TO NORTH OF CADSON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Ive

National Grid Reference: SX3403167962

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 36 NW 7/154

ST IVE Take-off stone 200m to north of Cadson

II

Turnpike Take-off stone. Circa 1764. Granite rectangular post with flat top. Incised with upper case lettering TAKE OFF. Coaches travelling towards Liskeard from Callington were allowed to take a trace horse from the tollhouse at Newbridge (q.v. Turnpike cottage, Callington Parish), to assist them on their way to St Ive. Those travelling in the opposite direction were instructed to take an extra horse at Coombegate (q.v. Put-on stone 60 m to east of Coombegate). At the brow of the hill directly to the north of Cadson, the take-off stone instructed the coachman to unhitch the trace horse and send it back. Situated on turnpike road. Act for turnpike roads leading into Callington dated 1764 (4 Geo III c48) setting up the Callington Turnpike Trust. A further act of 1785 authorised the widening and improvement of 32 miles.

W. Albert, The Turnpike Road System in England 1663-1840, 1972 S Lightbody, The Book of Callington, 1982

Listing NGR: SX3403167962

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 61355

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Albert, W, The Turnpike Road System in England 1663-1840, (1972)
Lightbody, S, The Book of Callington, (1982)

End of official listing