CHURCH OF ST KEYNE
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST KEYNE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140840.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 01:04:02.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST KEYNE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
- St. Keyne
- National Grid Reference:
- SX 24229 60810
SX 26 SW ST KEYNE ST KEYNE
10/191 Church of St Keyne 21,8.64 II*
Parish Church. Circa C15 possibly on site of earlier cruciform church. Heavily restored in 1868-77 by J P St Aubyn. Coursed slatestone partly rebuilt on south wall of nave, east end of chancel, south transept and south porch. Slate roof with lower slate roof to chancel. Comprises nave, chancel, three bay north aisle, west tower and south porch. South transept now forms vestry. West tower of 3 stages with moulded granite plinth and strings. Battlemented parapet with crocketted pinnacles. West door with moulded granite 2-centred arch with hood and labels. C19 door with ornate hinges. Above, 3-light Perpendicular west window with tracery partly replaced. Hood and labels. 2-light belfry openings beneath segmental arches with chamfered jambs. North aisle with high plinth. West window of 2-light granite Perpendicular tracery partly restored. 2-centred arch with hood and labels. Blocked north door in 3-centred chamfered arch in rectangular hollow chamfered surround. Trefoils in spandrels. Above, 1-light opening probably with reset early C14 cusped ogee head. Two 2-light Perpendicular north aisle windows each with two 3-centred arches with chamfered arches and jambs in rectangular surrounds. Perpendicular 3- light window in east end of north aisle. Chancel; east window 3-light Perpendicular tracery with restored hood. South window circa C19 Perpendicular tracery. South transept with 2-light C19 tracery in gable end. Ornate C19 slate barge boards above. South side of nave, C19. Decorated window of 2-lights with quatrefoil. To west of porch single light with foiled head. South porch; gabled roof with ornate slate bargeboards. Inner shallow segmental arch chamfered with pyramid stops. Hood possibly reset with 2 heads as label stops and third at apex. Possibly remains from earlier church which stood on site. Interior C19 roof with scissor braces and cambered collars with arch bracing. C19 waggon roof to south porch. 3 bay north arcade with type A (Pevsner) moulded piers, moulded bases and caps. Segmental moulded arches. Tower arch, pointed with tall moulded bases and type A (Pevsner) moulding to engaged piers. C19 furnishings. C15 octagonal font with bowl lined with lead with octagonal stem and base. In east window of north aisle, circa C15 glass in top light with 2 shields of arms each bearing Kendall impaling others. Bells; 6 bells, 2 recast when church restored. Fourth and oldest bell inscribed WIL : LARKE : TO : ANGER. Warden T.P.J.P. 1663. On outside wall of north aisle, reset slate stone of John Edgcumbe died 1770. Also slate memorial to John Hicks, died 1800. Well engraved. Sites and monuments register records old communion table in vestry. Possibly stands on Lan. N Pevsner and E Radcliffe The Buildings of England, Cornwall 2nd ed. 1980 Site and Monuments Register, Truro. J Polsue Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall 1867-73 rp 1974 H B Walters Church of England Schedule of Bell for Preservation 1978
Listing NGR: SX2422960810
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)
Polsue, J, Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, (1872)
Church of England Schedule of Bells for Preservation, (1978)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing